Londrina May 30, 2011

Bom Dia Provo!

There is a newspaper company here called Bom Dia Londrina. Hence a horrible funny play on words in my salutation. Great Scott Salutation is a cool word. So thank you very very much for the advice, letter, updates and everything. I am so very happy to have such a great Mother who loves me and gives me so much support. It is starting to be super cold here in Brazil too. Not bone chilling cold like in Provo, but humid cold that gets in everything and sleeping on the floor doesn’t help either, kind of cold. That is super neat that we had a double farewell in church. I never met the Carters, but that is still super-cool. I am also very thankful for such a great extended family. Keep on spending lots of time with them and know that they love you! Family is really terrific and I will be glad to see all of you again. But in the meantime.... No time to be trunky!

I can only think of one word so far to describe my experience as an Assistant: BWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH??????!!!! My head is still a little bit in exploded mode, but it’s getting better for sure. So, I found out on Monday and spent the day training the newly arrived missionaries, then Tuesday and Wednesday we had normal work days in our area. Thursday we spent all day preparing trainings in the office and then ran home to have the baptism of Evandro (the last kid in a part member family that wasn´t baptized). We marked two more baptisms for this week and then President called us back up and sent us to São Paulo. Since Friday Elder Ayres and I have been working in a city called Presidente Prudente. The Assistants in this mission are called Assistantes viajantes (Traveling Assistants). How I have basically come to see this is that we are basically the S.W.A.T. team for President. If there is a Zone having major problems he sends us basically with the instructions: Come back when you baptize some people. Right now we are here in this ward because they need to baptize more priesthood holders to become a Stake and President wants to help them out. The Super cool thing is that Elder De Souza is the Zone leader here and I have been on splits with him this week. Super cool! Meu Pai da missão! We have already had some crazy experiences. Elder Ayres is super super good and slightly crazy. I think you have to be slightly crazy to be super super good. So far we have marked 3 baptisms, 7 family nights and Elder Ayres got a free pair of $150 dollar shoes from a guy that we knocked on his door. Whaa?! Since we don’t have member lunches on P-day Elder Ayres was joking about trying to go knocking doors to get lunch. I haven´t figured out if he is serious or not yet..... haha!

It is super exciting but also very stressful. I know that President has some reason for calling me as an assistant, but I haven´t exactly figured it out yet. I feel rather inadequate right now, but I just have to remember that God qualifies those He calls, not calls those who are qualified. The truth is that it has been a very stressful week and I am dead tired, but it is an excellent opportunity to grow. I am learning a lot each day and finding out that it is a lot more important what you ´´are´´ instead of what you ´´do´´. Thank you very much for your advice and support Mom. I am trying to get to know the missionaries here better, but I am still on the Zone Leaders!
Whoa!
Back in Bauru Thayna´s mom Kelli got baptized yesterday. Yeah! Suuuuper awesome! The other cool thing about being Staff is that we have a taxi driver whose favorite bands are Tears for Fears and Aha. :)

Next week I have to give training on being a strong leader to all the Zone leaders in the mission. Please pray for me to not make an idiot out of myself! I know that God lives and loves us. When we are on our knees we can often see things clearer than before. God has given us the Holy Ghost to guide us and when we can recognize that voice we can truly make miracles happen. I am learning much about the power of the priesthood and the strength God can give us. I don´t know how I got out of bed the last 3 days, but God truly does bless us when we are obedient. Christ walked this road long before we did. He knows where it ends and by looking to Him we can have a glance of the future too. I know that Dad loves us a lot and thank you so much for the support you give Mom. You are definitely the best Mom probably ever. How is the family doing? How are Abbey and Dallin? Grandpa e grandma?
Mando um abraço! (Send them a hug)
Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment